Pontifical Mission LogoSri Lanka National FlagCatholic Flag












 
Mannar
  

   
The arid district of Mannar, dotted with umbrella of thorn and baobab trees, lies in the northwest of the country. Mannar Island is Sri Lanka’s largest, covering 130 sq kms and has one of the oldest ports in the country. The island is connected to the main land by a 3 km long causeway. Mannar has a well preserved fort originally built by the Portuguese in 1560 and later improved by the Dutch.

An important religious center “Tirukketishvaram Hindu Temple“ lies on the coast of the mainland, north of the causeway to Mannar Island. Sight seeing includes – for the naturalists the baobab trees, introduced from Africa centuries ago by Arab traders are especially impressive. The Madhu Sanctuary, which is situated 40 km west of the town of Vavuniya to the north of the main road to Mannar, plays a major role for wild life lovers / naturalists.
 




NAME OF THE DIOCESE MANNAR
Name of the Present Bishop  : Rt. Rev. Dr. Rayappu Joseph
  
Name of the Present Diocesan Director of the Pontifical Mission Societies : Rev. Fr. Jude Croos
Area  : 3900 km
No. of Catholics  : 81,829
No. of Parishes : 28
No. of Churches  :
No. of Diocesan Priests : 47
No. of Religious Priests : 06
No. of Rev. Sisters : 122
No. of Convents :
No. of Junior Seminarians : 42
No. of Shrines  : 04
No. of Elder’s Homes : 02 – 145
No. of Children’s Homes  : 19 – 485
Name of 1st Bishop  : Rt. Rev. Dr. Thomas Savundaranayagam
Name of 2nd Bishop  : Rt. Rev. Dr. Rayappu Joseph
   

Home | History | Newsletter | Publications